maio 31, 2009

Whadaya mean



Willies, the = the creeps; the shakes 
Nervosismo, inquietude: 
Cloudy days give me the Willies. 

willy-nilly 
Descuidado, sem método, desordenado: 
He always works in a willy-nilly manner. 

Wimpy; wimpy 
Sanduíche "hambúrguer": 
Give me a wimpy. 

wim-wams 
Sensação de nervosismo: 
I get the wim-wams when I climb a ladder. 

Winchester 
Rifle (de qualquer marca): 
So I ups with my Winchester and knocked down twenty Indians. 

windbag 
Fanfarrão, indivíduo garganta, pessoa tagarela: 
Can't someone shut off that old windbag? 

winder-upper 
Música ou canção que encerra um programa radiofônico: 
The winder-upper began and us kids knew it was time to shut off the radio and go to bed. 

wind-jammer 
Indivíduo tagarela, fanfarrão: 
Don't get him going. He's a real wind-jammer. 

window, out the 
Sem nada, totalmente destituído, perdido, arruinado: 
Everything went out the window for my family in 1929. 

window-shop 
Observar artigos exibidos em vitrinas: 
I like to go window-shopping at Christmas time. 

windup 
Fim, término: 
Well, this is the windup of our money. 

windy 
Tagarela, indivíduo tagarela: 
Here comes old windy Joe. 

Windy City 
Chicago: 
I've never been to the Windy City. 

wing 
1) Atingir, ferir (com bala): 
The bullet winged him but didn't kill him. 
2) Ferir a asa (com bala): 
He winged two ducks. 
3) Braço: 
My left wing is broken. 
4) Ala (posição em equipe de futebol): 
He played right wing. 

wing-ding; whing-ding 
1)Acesso de raiva, ataque de nervos: 
Ma took a wing-ding when I told her that I had lost the money. 
2)Festa, farra, celebração estrondosa: 
Just before my army unit broke up we had one hell of a wing-ding at the expense of UncIe Sam. 

wino 
Alcoólatra cuja bebida favorita é o vinho: 
The Bowery winos have gathered together to petition the mayor for a warm place to sleep. 

win one's spurs 
Fazer sua reputação, tornar-se um profissional, "diplomar-se" em qualquer atividade: 
When you win your spurs come around to me for a job. 

win out 
Vencer pela persistência, obter finalmente o sucesso, a vitória: 
You can win out if you concentrate on your opponent's weaknesses. 


in Dicionário de Gíria Americana Contemporânea; E. Collins, Donald and L. Gomes, Luiz – Pioneira – São Paulo, 1989 

Nenhum comentário: